Monday, November 15, 2010

Book 52-The Cellar by A. J. Whitten


My BF Dawn, always one to give me leads on good reading, directed me to the website www.netgalley.com. This website allows people to request advance reader copies of unpublished (or yet to be published) books. While scanning the provided titles, I can across a YA novel called The Cellar by A. J. Whitten. The tagline reads "Romeo and Juliet with Zombies", can we say my interest was peaked with this words??? Oh Hell Yeah! So I sent the request to the publisher to read the book, and waited about a day until it sent it to me to view. Alas, they only sent it to me in PDF form, so I was unable to load it into my Kobo (I tried, honestly I did). So I was stuck at my computer reading this novel. This idea didn't sit well with me, but I figured I would tough it out. The whole premise of the book was something I definitely wanted to experience, so I sat at my computer and turned the first page...

Right from the first chapter I was sucked into the story, it wraps around you like a proverbial boa constrictor that holds you in it's clutches and squeezes. until you almost can't breathe. I remember after the first few chapters, I was sitting at my computer, and I was honestly dieing to have a bath, you know, relax and just let the day go...but I couldn't leave the computer and this book!

The story focuses on Meredith and Heather Willis, two sisters trying to pick up the pieces of their lives, after their father is killed in a car accident. The two of them struggle with their feelings and are usually arguing with each other, until the house next door which has stood empty for some time is finally purchased by the St. Germains.

Adrian St. Germain has taken the school by storm, every girl is fawning all over him, and wants him to notice her...almost every girl...not Meredith. Meredith finds Adrian cute, but something is eating at her (no pun intended) that says Adrian is not what he seems. Could it be his strange recluse mother? The strange hallucinations she's having? Or the fact she swears she saw "something" behind his ever present sunglasses, which he wears even at night.

Meredith knows something is strange, and when her sister starts to go out with Adrian, she knows she has to come between their "love" to save not only her sisters life, but her own as well.

I am absolutely in love with A.J. Whitten! This book had it all! Gore, emotional trauma, revenge, and of course a love story. It was a fiction smorgasborg! A fictionasborg? Sorry, I'm a little tired :P

Now I am on a crazed hunt to find their other book, The Well, it sounds just as amazing as The Cellar!

Till next time!

2 comments:

  1. I started reading this book, too (figures we'd request the same titles!) and have been unable to finish it because of everything going on at work. I'm dying to read it, especially with phrases like: Right from the first chapter I was sucked into the story, it wraps around you like a proverbial boa constrictor that holds you in it's clutches and squeezes. until you almost can't breathe.
    Pretty high praise :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn the book was amazing! I am still swooning over Adrian...even though loving him would be sure to eat you up! Ha ha!!

    ReplyDelete