Saturday, May 1, 2010

Book 26-Dark Zones by Sharon Jarvis

Dark Zones was the second part of Sharon Jarvis's true paranormal accounts. The first book Dead Zones, didn't impress me much, but this one was another "lendie" from a co-worker, so I decided to read it.

Again I am disappointed. The books have an interesting look at the hauntings they describe, but lack that nail biting kind of terror. The front of the book states "In the blood curdling tradition of Dead Zones" and the back shows "The truth is more terrifying than fiction". Um, yeah no.

The book reads like an encyclopedia. This is the place and this is what happen. Very matter of fact with no emotion at all. It was not bloodcurdling and definitely not terrifying. I mean what is so "terrifying" about a chair moving with on it's own, or ghosts smiling at you. Damn that makes my blood run cold...yeah whatever.

If I'm going to read a true paranormal account, the writer can't be so matter of fact about the writing. Seriously, keep to the facts of the matter, but put some effort into the words you use. It would work out so much better if the writer was a little scared his or herself.

Then again...maybe it's just me...

Book 27 is a book from one of my favorite horror writers Ruby Jean Jensen, who us horror junkies haven't had anything new from in almost 10 years. It's sad...such a great horror writer... lost. The book I have chosen is "Celia", one of her typical "dolls gone bad" stories. She was famous for these during her writing time. Personally those little porcelain dolls really creep me out, so hopefully this book will keep me up at night. :)

Hey Dawn! There's something you can write about!?!?! Creepy dolls! That will make my skin crawl! Maybe not scare me...but definitely give me the heebie-jeebies!! Xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Funny you should say that since I bought that creepy dolls book with you in mind. I just *might* have an idea :-) xo

    ReplyDelete