Monday, October 4, 2010

Book 46-Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl


The blog "Reading Teens"rave review of Beautiful Creatures gave me the push to pick up this book on my Kobo. I had seen the book many times at the bookstore, Wal Mart and the grocery store and always thought "Damn I need to pick that up, it looks good." So after reading the review on Reading Teen, I decided I would venture to Wal Mart to pick the book up. Alas, there we no copies..which really ticked me off, as I had been there 20 times before and had seen it! So I turned to the Kobo store, where they are never out of stock! :)

Beautiful Creatures takes place in the small town of Gatlin, Texas where everything is the same day in and day out. Until, Lena Duchannes, niece of the town recluse, comes to live. Everyone is against her, and finds her weird, with her crazy clothes, and strange jewelry. But Ethan Wate is having dreams about Lena where she is calling to him to save her. He sees her hand pass by him, as they both fall into an abyss. After these dreams Ethan feels a need to "know" Lena and figure out the truth of why he is dreaming about her.

This book has a nice supernatural twist to it, that has broken away from the usual vampire craze. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE vampires (c'mon who can resist Damon Salvatore?), but this book brought in witchcraft, incubuses, and other otherworldly delights. The book really didn't appeal to me at the beginning, but as you read you are sucked into the town of Gatlin, and are forced to root for Lena and Ethan in their quest.

The second book in the series (I have always been a sucker for the series) Beautiful Darkness comes out very soon, and I think it will be the next one for my Kobo.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I certainly can't resist Damon Salvatore. At all.
    I'm nervous when you say: The book really didn't appeal to me in the begining... I've had too many starts and stops this past week. But there's been enough hype about the book that I'm thinking I need to buy it.

    ReplyDelete