Saturday, March 13, 2010

Book 17-Cell by Stephen King


Let me start this blog off with the fact that I LOVE Stephen King. He has the knack of making stories that chill the blood and cause shivers to creep down peoples spines. Personally not my own, but I can see how some people get the creeps from his writing...although..as I am I horror junkie, it takes a lot to make me scared in book, tv show, or movie.

In the beginning, Cell reminded me of Stephen Kings books Desperation, and The Regulators (The Regulators he wrote as Richard Bachman). These two books were Stephens best in my opinion. They included a great plot, superb character development, and my personal favorite, all out gore. I mean what gore loving fanatic wouldn't smile when reading a book and the first few lines talk about an animal nailed to a speed sign?!? (don't get me wrong! I am an animal lover, but lets all remember this is a work of FICTION!! No animals were hurt during the writing of this novel...that I know of...).

So Cell starts out with Clay Riddell walking home after securing a deal with a publisher for the graphic novel he has created. He has picked his estranged wife a glass paperweight (paid for with the money he received as a deposit from the publisher) and is stopping for ice cream, when he hears screams from the park across the street.

He sees people attacking each other, a man ripping his dogs ear off with his teeth, and next to him one girl gets off a cell phone call and proceeds to attack a business woman beside her, ripping her throat out with her teeth. Blood, gore, explosions, it was like a breath of fresh air. I thought, Yes! back to the old Stephen!! Alas, I was excited early.

The book continues on with Clay and a few "Normies" (those not affected by what ever is going on, the take to calling it "The Pulse") Tom and Alice making their way across country trying to find a save haven, and Clays wife and son.

I was totally into the book, and enjoying it until about the middle of it. Then I was kind of like..."Uh ok...can we pick up the pace a bit?" Don't get me wrong...I enjoyed the book, but it kind of "stood still" for a good chunk of the book.

And it totally pissed me off, because it didn't come to an ending that closed the story. Damn cliff hangers!!! UGH!!!

Anyway book 18 is Bloody Mary by J.A. Konrath!

3 comments:

  1. It's been a while since I've read a Stephen King book - many of them dragged in the middle for me. And while I appreciate he is the master of "going for the gross out" I like my gore to be accompanied by strategy...one of the reasons I love Saw.

    I'll likely pass on this book...but while in Chapters the other day, I saw Horns, the latest by Stephen's son Joe Hill and I got tingles. I'm crossing my fingers the first chapter is a prelude to the rest of the book, instead of being a well-done teaser. His first book, Heart Shaped Box, was a bit of a let down.

    Glad you've made your way back to Konrath. I'm thinking your mind was already on Bloody Mary before you made it to the half-way point of Cell. I'm proud of you for pushing through. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL... I have about 100 SK books, but I've only read about 5... They're good, but I like the idea of SK more than I like his books...

    What happened to book 17?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh crap!! Miscounted! I guess cell was book 17!

    ReplyDelete