Monday, January 4, 2010

Book 5!





After much effort trying to squish in time to read over the holiday season, I have finally finished book 5 of 100. "In the Dark of the Night" by John Saul was a bit of a trip down memory lane for me, as I haven't read a horror/thriller novel in quite some time. It was not only refreshing, but invigorating to read something that is "truly" who I am...a horror junkie!

The book starts with a family going to a place called Phantom Lake. It's a sort of summer resort, where people come from all over to stay at. Well this family, The Brewsters, rent a home in Phantom Lake that was owned by a Dr. Darby, who vanished under mysterious circumstances.

The son, Eric, finds some "strange" items in the carriage house, and calls his two friends Tad and Kent to explore with him. And here is where it all begins....

I don't want to spoil anything for any future readers of this book, but it is an enjoyable book, that has some really interesting elements to it. For myself, I was guessing who the items came from long before the story explained more about each item, but I am VERY knowledgeable in that area. No, I'm not going to tell you...you have to read the book. :)

My only complaint with the book, is that it is exactly like most of Sauls other books: Young child or teenager has to deal with some kind of ghost, or paranormal type of thing. The "thing" almost takes over the child, and "poof!" the protagonist is able defeat the ghost by sheer willpower. Tada! The end.

Honestly, I do enjoy Saul's books, I have read him since I was like 10 years old, and his repetitiveness is a bit annoying but his books can still be enjoyed.

I give "In the Dark of the Night" 6.5 out of 10! Now on to "Hush Hush'...Dawn said it was great!! So I'm going to give it a shot.

Till next time!

2 comments:

  1. You know this, but John Saul's "creature" was the book that made me want to write. I love his stuff, though agree it is cliche. I enjoyed In the Dark of the Night but his newest work doesn't do it for me.

    Hush Hush, on the other hand, does. Hopefully you enjoy it - but back off Patch, he's mine :-) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! No problem Dawn, he's all yours so far...I'm only on page 50..fell asleep last night so I couldn't read anymore. I found the beginnig of the book TOTALLY reminded me of Twilight though.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete