Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Books 42 & 43



Well after a weekend of family fun in Calgary Ab I was able to finish off Serial Uncut by J.A Konrath, Jack Kilborn and Blake Crouch along with Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.

I can`t say to much about Serial...it was an interesting ebook, with lots of gore and violence, but it felt like it went nowhere. There were moments of the Holy Crap! feeling, not because of the gore, but of the twists and turns in the novel. Most of the time I had to go back and double check that I was following the story. The story eventually winds up fairly nicely with a sort of cliffhanger.

It wasn`t the best novel by Konrath andor Kilborn, but who wouldn't be impressed with a quote in the foreword like this one:

Warning: This horror novella begins where others end, and leaves nothing to the imagination. You probably can't handle it. Go read Twilight instead...

Book 43 was The Hunger Games. I was a little unsure of reading this book, as it is not my usual reading material. But after being told by my BF that the book was amazing and well written I decided to grab it for my Kobo. I am not disappointed.

Hunger Games is a story about Katniss Everdeen a 16 year old girl living in what is regarded as District 12. And area of her home country Panem, where people fight for survival everyday. Katniss is accustomed to sneaking under "the fence" and hunting to feed her mother and younger sister.

Once a year The Reaping takes place, where one boy and one girl from each district 1-12. No one is safe from The Reaping, anyone between the ages of 12-18, rich or poor are thrown into a large glass ball and one name is picked from the boys and one from the girls. These two are called tributes, and are forced to play The Hunger Games...where only one of the 24 tributes (total from all districts) can survive and win.

Katniss is forced into the games, when her younger sister is picked. She runs to the front of the crowd and volunteers to take her sister Prims place, even though the thought of never coming home scares Katniss to death. Katniss is forced to play The Hunger Gamea, and fight to survive.

This book was amazing! I couldn't put it down. The story pulls you in and takes one hell of a hold on your mind, and heart. You want to see Katniss win, and struggle with her through the book. Go and pick it up if you haven't yet! Yes it's a young adult novel, but it reads just like many adult novels I have read. There is no teen angst or froofy poofy little girls running around who are boy crazy. It's an all out fight to survive.

Still deciding what my next novel will be...I'll keep you posted. :)

1 comment:

  1. Holy crap - I feel so disconnected. I didn't even know what you were reading...how weird is that?

    I am SO glad you liked Hunger Games. It's a brilliant book. Waiting patiently to buy the second and third in the series. xo

    ReplyDelete